How To Get A Child Passport With One Parent Absent

How To Get A Child Passport With One Parent Absent

How to get a child passport with one parent absent.

If you are considering sending your children on vacation outside the United States, you must stay informed about the documents necessary to obtain your children’s American passport. This document, apart from being essential to travel, is also a valid form of identification.

If the name of the two Parents is on the child’s birth certificate, the signature of the two will be required to process the passport. You will have to prove that you are the father or that you have legal custody of the child.

In some situations, this is not a problem. Still, in other cases, it is something different, for example, such as when nothing is known about a parent, and you want to take your child on vacation outside the country, when processing the passport the first thing You will be asked is the signature of the parents.

If your situation is similar and you do not know where the child’s father or mother is, then your child will not be able to obtain your passport.

To solve this, there are options by which you can obtain legal custody of the child, and thus the signature of the two parents will not be necessary, but only of who has legal custody.

These options depend on the situation in which you are living. For example, if one of the parents has died, then it is necessary to present the death certificate of the deceased father or mother. If the child was adopted and you are trying to obtain a passport for the child, it is a slightly different process because different documents are required to prove the relationship.

In order to obtain legal custody, it is necessary to present the case in front of a judge so that he signs the custody order.

This procedure is a process that must be carried out step by step. It is essential that you consult with a lawyer your situation before you present it to the Court, so that you are fully informed of your benefits and so that you have a clearer idea of ​​the options available to you.

This is not particular legal advice, it is general information.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *