Get coconut oil out of hair
How to remove coconut oil from hair?. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer for dull, dry hair, but it can be challenging to get the right amount on your hair. Too little, and you won’t get the shine you want, too much, and your hair could end up looking bulky and oily. If you’ve accidentally applied too much coconut oil to your hair, there are steps you can take to solve the problem quickly.
How to get coconut oil out of hair. Here are some secrets that will inform you of various methods of removing coconut oil from your hair. You can use simple cooking ingredients to get rid of coconut oil without damaging your hair.
Coconut oil: one of the most publicized products in the media. Everyone must have heard of it. Coconut oil is beneficial for your hair. It also has many health benefits.
How to get rid of coconut oil from hair?
1. Soak it with paper towels
When there is nothing close to you to prevent pregnancy, take some paper towels and press it on your hair. It will absorb excess oil. However, this is a very crude method.
2. Use your Shampoo
One of the simplest and most common methods of dealing with this problem is to shampoo your hair. Rinsing hair with Shampoo and a suitable conditioner will make it look clean and will help remove oil from it. Also, try using shampoos that are made for oily hair.
3. Use clarifying Shampoo
If the usual combination of Shampoo and conditioners doesn’t work for you, try using shampoos that are made to remove any buildup on your hair.
4. Detergents and baking soda
Liquid dishwashing detergents are designed to remove the toughest stains/dirt from your utensils. However, when used in small amounts, this liquid can be applied to damp hair to extract coconut oil. Use it as little as possible, and when other things don’t work. Because it is not suitable for your hair.
If your hair feels greasy, you can also use baking soda in your kitchen, add enough water to make a paste, and apply it to all your hair. The paste should be implemented properly so that it reaches the bottom of the hair and covers the entire head. Rinse with lukewarm water after 15-20 minutes.
6. Use dry Shampoo
For an immediate effect, you can use any store-bought dry shampoo or use a homemade alternative to absorb excess oil from your hair.
To make a pure homemade dry shampoo
Dry Shampoo is like body powder, except it is supposed to be used on hair (scalp). Mix rice flour, baking flour, uncooked oatmeal, and corn
Mix together the rice flour, the baking flour, the uncooked oatmeal, and the cornstarch. Sprinkle the dry Shampoo on your scalp, wait 5 minutes, and then rub it in.
However, it is better to wash your hair later, so that dry Shampoo does not accumulate on the scalp and block the pores.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for its antioxidant properties. The various minerals, enzymes, and vitamins present are essential to remove oil from the hair. Below are the steps to use aloe vera that will help detoxify the scalp from dirt and oil secretions.
- a) Take a teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel and mix well with your regular shampoo
- b) Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture.
- c) Apply this mixture and let it sit for about 15 minutes, after which you can wash your hair with warm water.
Another simple way to use Aloe Vera gel is to simply apply the gel to your hair and wash it off after 15 minutes.
Vinegar is a natural astringent. It can be used effectively to remove coconut oil from your hair and scalp. The acid in the vinegar helps balance the pH level of the scalp.
But be careful, use only a dilute solution of apple cider or white vinegar. This helps reduce oil buildup in your hair and also makes hair shiny and smooth. Follow the steps given below.
This helps reduce oil buildup in your hair and also makes hair shiny and smooth. Follow the steps given below.
- a) Add 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water.
- b) Apply this mixture on your hair and massage it well so that the mixture reaches the scalp.
- c) After 10 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water
8. Use black tea
Black tea also has astringent properties due to the presence of tannic acid. This helps prevent the accumulation of excess oil on the scalp. To remove coconut oil from your hair with black tea, follow these steps.
- a) Add the appropriate amount of black tea leaves in a cup of water.
- b) After boiling for about 10 minutes, strain the leaves and let the decoction cool down.
- c) After it reaches room temperature, apply liberally to scalp and hair.
- d) Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse it off with water.
9. Try lemon
Lemons should also remove coconut oil from your hair. Its juice contains citric acid, which can be used to clean dirt and oil from your hair and skin. It helps balance the pH level of the scalp.
- a) Collect the juices of two lemons and add them to 2 cups of water.
- b) For best results, add three tablespoons of honey to this mixture.
- c) Massage this mixture on the scalp and hair, and after a few minutes with warm water.
10. Egg wash
Eggs have been used to remove excess oil from the hair. They are known to cut grease and fat. They have many proteins and vitamins that help strengthen, thicken, and add shine to your hair.
- A) Beat 1 -2 eggs in a cup and add 2 – 3 tablespoons of water.
- B) Massage this mixture into the hair and scalp, let it stay for 5-10 minutes.
- C) Use warm water to rinse it off. Keep in mind that using hot water will coagulate all the proteins present in the egg and cause disaster.
- D) (optional) Massage your hair with Castile soap and rinse.
11. Mint and rosemary
Mixing a tablespoon of rosemary sprigs and mint leaves in two cups of boiling water is one of the best ways to remove coconut oil from your hair.
Add lemon juice, from a single lemon to this mixture, and use this to rinse excess coconut oil from your hair.
12. Use Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is a clay material that has the property to absorb oils. The minerals present in this also help improve blood circulation in the scalp.
- a) Make a thick paste using three tablespoons of earth and fuller’s water.
- b) Apply the paste on your hair.
- c) Rinse with warm water after 15-20 minutes.
The acidic content present in tomatoes helps to balance the pH level of your scalp. They have also been shown to be effective in removing bad odors from your hair, which is commonly associated with coconut oils.
- A) Take the tomato puree and mix it with a teaspoon of fuller’s earth.
- B) Apply this mixture on your hair.
- C) After half an hour, wash it with cold water,
14. Use alcohol
Alcohol is a beneficial product that you can use on your hair to get the immediate and immediate solution to your oily hair problems. Vodka is the ideal hair tonic for oily hair, and it also helps balance the pH of the scalp.
- A) Dilute one cup of vodka with two cups of water.
- B) Use this alcoholic mixture to rinse your hair after washing it with Shampoo.
- C) Let it stay for 5-10 minutes. Use water to rinse it off.
15. Henna and powder
A soft paste of henna powder and water can be useful in removing coconut oil from the hair. Rinse your hair with water to keep it clean, smooth, and shiny.
Adding olive oil to the mixture before applying it to the hair increases its effectiveness.
16. Witch hazel oil
Witch Hazel is found to be an effective remedy that works wonders for your hair. It helps you remove coconut oil from your hair.
- a) Buy witch hazel oil. Take four drops of the oil and mix with two tablespoons of water.
- B) Absorb this mixture with a cotton ball and gently run it through your hair and scalp.
Care for your hair
Washing your hair every day is not recommended as it removes all the oil from the hair which will cause the hair to dry
Also, every time the hair is cleaned/rinsed, it is recommended to use cold/warm water for it. Hot water stimulates the oil-producing glands and will make the situation worse. On the other hand, cold water will not, and will help to close hair follicles as well.
Lastly, don’t buy any random coconut oil that is available in the market. Consult a doctor to choose the oil that suits you best.
- Dias MFRG. (2015). Hair cosmetics: An overview. DOI:
- Kamga GH, et al. (2019). In vitro evaluation of antifungal activity of virgin coconut oil and white palm kernel oil on candida species-experimental study. DOI:
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2015). Get radiant hair, skin and nails naturally.
- Trueb RM. (2016). Serum biotin levels in women complaining of hair loss. DOI:
- Agero, A. L., & Verallo-Rowell. V. M. (2004, September). A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. Dermatitis, 15(3), 109-116
- how to get coconut oil out of your hair
- how to get coconut oil out of hair
- Get coconut oil out of hair
- How to get rid of coconut oil from hair?
- 1. Soak it with paper towels
- 2. Use your Shampoo
- 3. Use clarifying Shampoo
- 4. Detergents and baking soda
- 6. Use dry Shampoo
- To make a pure homemade dry shampoo
- 6. Aloe Vera
- 7. Vinegar
- 8. Use black tea
- 9. Try lemon
- 10. Egg wash
- 11. Mint and rosemary
- 12. Use Fuller’s Earth
- 13. Tomatoes
- 14. Use alcohol
- 15. Henna and powder
- 16. Witch hazel oil
- Care for your hair